18 May 2007

"For you only my friend, special deal!"

Yeah right! And yet that is what they say to everyone who walks by at today's bazaar here on Bagram Airfield. It was opened today for the first time since the suicide bombing (which, coincidentally did not happen far from where we were today) in FEB. We only had a few minutes there, but it was still nice to get out of the lab and find some deals (boosting the poor Afghan economy, haha!!!):
Seasons 1-5 of "Scrubs" box set: $40
L.O.T.R. Trilogy (Ext. version): $30
Most movie DVDs:P $2 or 3/ea (recent hits, etc.)

The movies are not the same as you would find in Best Buy, but they are not simple DVD copies like you would make for a friend, either. The quality is somewhere in the middle, they come shrink wrapped, in boxes, etc. I think they are copied here in Asia, likely Thailand. Anyway, rumor had it that this was the last time the bazaar could sell DVDs, preumably because AAFES is starting to crack down on these types of things. I am glad I had my chance to buy while I could.

Also, my coworker Jerry haggled a little bit with a man to get some nice marbleware to send home to his wife, Jess. Anyway, I caught them both in action: